Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Prophetic? Act of GOD? Don't be so literal...

I should be more careful about what I say in my blog. Like that whole thing about trees falling, and bubbles bursting. I didn't want a tree to fall. I swear. I really was planning on calling the tree guy....sigh.

So, yeah. One of the three giant hackberry trees looming over my backyard decided to crack in two during the storm we had Sunday night. The top half of the tree, uh, disappeared. At first I didn't know where it had gone, since there was nothing in my yard. The next day I went out and saw that it had fallen across the corner of my neighbors yard, across two fences, and into another yard next to them. 

Cue anxiety attack. 

The electrical lines were down (under the tree, to be exact) so I didn't want to explore too closely. There wasn't a whole lot to do, so I went to work and made some calls. After work, on my way to meet a tree guy for an estimate, I decided to stop over at the house where the tree fell to make sure everything was okay. It is a tricky situation, since under homeowners insurance, you are responsible for what happens in your own yard, even if the tree came from someone else's yard. So, unfortunately for my neighbor, my tree in her yard was technically her problem. I understand being a bit frustrated about the situation. However, when we started talking, she tried to tell me that she asked me to take the trees down 3 years ago. That they were dying. That they were going to fall. This conversation never happened. In fact, I had tree guys come out 4 years ago to do some other tree work and they said the trees were fine. I told her that. I mean, the storm hit directly over our neighborhood. There were entire oak trees uprooted. Trees were down everywhere. She had another tree down on the other side of her house...so....Anyway.  I tried to be nice, but I could feel my blood start to chill and my prickly lawyer instincts started to tell me to get out of there ASAP lest I start something I can't undo. The ONLY time I had previously spoken with this woman was when we got into an argument about who "owns" the easement between our two backyards. I have tried to be nice to her, but apparently it has to turn into a confrontation. 

Anyway, there is more to this story but this has given me some serious anxiety. Tree guy wants a few thousand dollars to take out all the trees. They all need to come out. I know this. I want them out. But the worst part is that being at my house was causing me massive anxiety. As soon as the tree guy left, I left too. And I didn't want to return. My house has always been the place I felt at peace. It was my bubble. But now??? I really hope things can return to normal....but for now I have to call some more tree guys, get some more quotes....ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment