Monday, February 28, 2011

I can't believe it's March tomorrow...


Seriously. Where does the time go? I wanted this year to be full of events and activities. I wanted to go on trips, visit friends in far away places. I wanted to grow little arm muscles and go on Saturday morning jogs followed by coffee on the front porch. I wanted days at the river with my dog, hopping on rocks and enjoying the sun on my face.

So, what has happened? Well, I went to the river yesterday for the first time this year. The weather was amazing. 80 degrees. I went with my buddy David and his dog, and we got down there and there were so many people. People everywhere, on every rock, dogs running all over the place, kids running all over the place. People were smoking pot. Drinking beer and throwing the cans in the water.  Being sketchy. Being loud. Being southern. I will make no apologies for the fact that I wanted all those people to fall into a pit of molten lava. Maybe not the kids and the dogs, but for the most part I was completely out of my element, so pissed at all the people, all their trash on the ground, in the water. Luckily my friend David is as sketched out by crowds and idiocy as I am, so I didn't feel too bad about cutting the trip short. But it made me really sad, and really miss living in a place where people had respect for their surroundings, for the world around them. Sad that I didn't live in a place where folks had a different type of pride. 

As far as the rest of it goes, well, I need to get on it. I started jogging again in the last few weeks, then got sick. I am going to try again in a few days after this cough settles down. Arm muscles are teeny right now. Flab is much more obvious at this point. Ugh.

Also, I am doing everything I possibly can to get this job. One of my bosses called me in to tell me that she just finished a 30 minute conversation with the organization, speaking as a reference. She thought it sounded good. She apparently told them that they needed to hire me. Ha. And if that wasn't enough, I decided to show up at a fundraiser for a different non-profit organization, and part of my reason for going was that I would probably run into the executive director at the fundraiser...which I did. We had a nice chat, she said she had to call my main boss still (which is great, since they have known each other for almost 30 years....) but that I should be hearing from them soon. I tried to be awesome. I think I was successful, because she said some things I interpreted as a thinly veiled affirmation that I have the job. I might have made that up though.

So, apparently the rule for finding work is 1. Make sure you know someone who knows a lot of people, and 2. Stalk your potential future employers.

Also, I am making a new commitment to the month of March: March,  I am going to do great things in you.

1 comment: