Friday, February 18, 2011

Interview debrief

This is how I feel during an interview.
So, I had my interview today. They have a building right downtown, a freestanding house converted to office space. There is absolutely no sign on the house indicating what it was. I peeked in the window and there wasn't anyone at the front desk, but I did see a sign which told me I was in the correct place. I went inside and looked around, and there was no one there. I called out hello a few times, looked around corners....nothing. I was a little bit early so I decided to loiter around the front before I started to get worried. And then I started to get worried. The clock struck 4, the time of my interview....and no one was there. Just after 4 I hear what was possibly the back door open and close, and then in the distance I hear someone on the phone. I called out hello a few more times. Still nothing. Awkward. Eventually I see a shadow move in the distance so I decide to just go on back into the house. I finally found a person, and it happened to be the person I needed. Apparently they didn't know the front door was unlocked and they were waiting to hear the door bell ring. What a great, flawless start to my interview!

But when the executive director and the litigation guy sat down with me, it actually went pretty well. We chatted for about an hour, and thank god they didn't ask me any cheesy interviewish questions. Well, not many at least. They asked why I wanted to leave my current job, why I wanted to work there, etc, but those questions are inevitable. The only thing that gave me pause was when they asked what experience I had in policy work....Apparently the job is heavy on policy work. I probably could have answered that one better than I did, but I really don't have any policy experience, other than knowing when policy doesn't work, specifically when it comes to criminal justice stuff. So, that one was kind of rough. Everything else went fine. Or it didn't, and I am too dense to know any better!

Anyway, they seem nice and it seems like a sweet job. I am cautiously optimistic. They said they are interviewing into next week and hope to make a decision sometime in the next 3 weeks or so. Hopefully they don't have some lobbyist coming in to interview next week, cause then I might be screwed.   Keep your fingers crossed for me, kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment