Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The quiet life

Are you looking for meaning in your life? In your work? That is a dangerous road to travel on. Here is what you need: you need to get out of the office, away from a computer, away from the people that surround us in this backwards little town we call a city. YOU NEED NATURE. You need quiet streams and the chirping of birds you can't see. You need moss and decay, dead leaves, sticks of trees.
People, eh, they are pretty darn special. The planet? It's everything, and  it doesn't need us one bit, and we can't stand it. We must try to control the uncontrollable, mold it, use it, give it a value we can comprehend.
....
I sent that to a friend of mine who was in the midst of an existential crisis relating to her work. After I sent it I re-read it, and I realized that I am the one in desperate need of all of the above.  I like the quiet life. I like simple things. I crave them, like an addiction. A physical need for quiet and calm and the simple life.

I know that for some people, they want the chaos, the busy life, projects and plans, shopping and hanging out with friends, constantly on the go. The older I get, not only do I care less for those types of things, I actually have an aversion to them. 

Oh, but it's more complicated than words can describe...

Sometimes I feel stuck in this town, secluded, holed away in my private little world, time just passing me by. There is so much more to life, so much more out in the world...It just seems so unattainable. I don't know how to get from point A to point B. Any advice? Anyone know? I want the quiet and I want something more, something that doesn't have a name. I guess I need to figure out what it is before I go looking for it...

2 comments:

  1. There is no "real" or "true" answers to these questions. At a certain point we have to stop looking beyond our own lives for "something better" and just live our lives. We have to acknowledge the things we do that make us happy and ensure that we do those things on a regular basis. You say that you have a physical need for quiet and calm and the simple life. Well, is that not your answer? You need to do what you can to maintain that, if that is what you desire. The rest of the world can do whatever the hell it wants. It's unimportant. As someone who has spent way too much time shoegazing, I realize I am not much of one to talk. But I think I'm getting better at taking my own advice, at least.

    ReplyDelete