Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 1, follow up

Update Resume
Apply for job

I will say that I fell short this week on trying something new (unless I want to start counting things like helping my cousin learn the 4 steps of reconciliation with god, which I don't). I was inspired a bit by my friend Dave. He and I exchanged a number of emails about trying to modify behavior and create daily/weekly routines. His theory is to try for the minimum, but do it everyday. The theory is that eventually it will become routine, and then you can add to it or not (though it will take longer to reach certain goals if you continue to do the minimum). So, his examples were things like flossing teeth, doing 10 push ups a day, limiting TV watching to a certain amount each week....I liked his idea, so I started off thinking about what my goals were first, and then how to attain the goal each day/week etc.

And of course, I put flossing on the list, and I even made a dorky monthly spreadsheet that I printed out, so I can check things off each day (I've already done my Spanish lesson for the day!), because I am totally motivated by visual progress. It's like my savings account and automatic transfers. I get much more satisfaction when my smaller weekly transfer is deposited in my savings account than I would if I just dumped a lump sum in there every once in awhile. I check it quite often, and I can track my progress every month, and every year, and as long as I don't have an emergency need for the money, it just gets bigger. Another example: at work next to my desk are a number of torn sheets from yellow legal pads. Each one has the month on the top, the number of open cases I have, and how many clients I have in jail. I keep track of every single case I close, and what the disposition was. Each month I start a new piece of yellow paper. My first one is from Dec 2007. It helps motivate me to move my cases, to lessen my caseload...If couldn't actually see any progress, I would probably suffer a lot more.

Anyway....this weekend was pretty quiet. Just working on the job search.
How many weeks of job applications do you think it is going to take? Anyone want to bet?

3 comments:

  1. So, that was fast. Already rejected from job app #1 for 2011. Turns out they already filled the position. Job app #2 is out in cyperspace already. You keeping track kids? 0/2 so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused, 0/2? But you only heard back from 1. Good thing you're not applying to be a math teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've applied to two jobs, heard back from one. One is still floating. I need a way to keep track of how many apps I have out there, how many are definite negatives, and how many I haven't heard from. 0/2 was just the easiest way to document that I have submitted two applications and no one has offered me a job. so there. How about this format: submitted/rejected/haven't heard. 2/1/1. You have a better idea?

    ReplyDelete