Sunday, May 1, 2011

the growing season

I haven't been as excited about this growing season as I have been in past years. I don't know why that is, but I have decided to keep it pretty low key this spring and summer. I am focusing on basil, squash, and potatoes. Perhaps because they are all plants that tend to have a high yield for the energy they require to maintain. I started the basil and squash from seed. I just transplanted the basil to the raised beds on Friday. Here is what they look like, and I've included a cheap shot of my potatoes too:
So small...
Potatoes
The fig tree has just started to show signs of fruiting. It didn't produce anything last year, probably because it almost died after I transplanted it to the back yard and then went on vacation for a week without watering it. It seems to have recovered. Mostly.

I wanted to focus a little more on flowers this year. I've never really been a flower person, but lately I find myself appreciating them more than usual. I have started a dedicated flower bed with some daisies and lilies, so we shall see how that does. I also have some coneflowers, a rosebush, and some flowers I don't remember the name of....

So, this is a little overdue, but last Sunday, eh, Easter Sunday in case you don't remember that far back, I was leaving from our family get together and got a call from my buddy David. He had been walking his dog around the neighborhood, and found a bunny munching on grass on the side of the road. A freaking bunny. On Easter. So, he took his dog home, and went back and retrieved the bunny. It was pretty tame. So, poor David has many pets already and no where to keep a bunny. So, I volunteer to hold on to the bunny until we find a home for it. I have no desire to be a bunny owner. So, we took bunny home and started trying to find a home for him. On a whim I sent my friend Cathy a text message, since she lives right around the corner from where the bunny was found. I asked her if she knew of anyone who was missing a bunny. Apparently, there are some college kids who live right behind her who have a bunny. So, David and I took the bunny over there, and knocked on the door. A really really stoned college kid came to the door, and identified the bunny as "the bunny that sometimes lives in their backyard and eats carrots." We felt a little funny leaving the bunny with people who clearly had no business with a pet, but we couldn't just take him with us at that point...so, the Easter Bunny lives with stoner college kids. Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment