Saturday, May 21, 2011

the medium is the message

One of the definitions of rapture on dictionary.com is "joyful ecstasy." According to my record player and Wikipedia, The Rapture is a dance-punk band from the late 1990's based in NYC. I think, and I might be wrong about this, but apparently today is the day of another type of rapture, where the godly are to be transported to the heavens via some sort of anti-gravitational force. I don't think it has happened, though I haven't really checked either. I have, however, listened to my favorite song by The Rapture, and I will share it with you:

I mentioned a few posts back that I was going to concentrate a little more on flowers this year. I just went and snapped a few pics and I think things are looking pretty ok.
Yarrow
Bee Balm
Not a flower, but cool nonetheless.
Coneflowers.
Roses.
So, something kinda cool happened while I was on my run a little while ago. I turned off the main road and headed down one of the neighborhood streets, and there was another jogger coming my way. As he passed me, he held out his hand for a high five. We exchanged a sweaty high five, and continued in our opposite directions. It got me thinking...I interact with people all the time, every day. We all do, at the grocery store, at work, just walking down the street. My default behavior is to be polite but reserved, and this allows me to go about my day without really thinking twice about the people around me. But this other jogger, whose face I didn't even see because I was too busy trying to not interact with him, totally forced me out of that seclusion, for just a moment, because he wasn't reserved. He was trying to connect, on some basic level, and he succeeded. Whatever. I know it isn't any big thing, but I spent the rest of my jog thinking about how little I engage with the world of people. I would like to say I am going to try to change that, but I really don't think I know how. All I am saying is that it's something I need to think about.

Happy Rapture everyone, whatever it means to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment